Finding the perfect Fir – Water it!
Did you ever spend hours searching for the perfect fir- the one that will sit in the corner next to the fireplace? Of course! You carefully place family favorite ornaments upon it’s fresh branches – the smell fills the room. Candy canes, lights and garland – perhaps even some paper chains the kids made in pre-school that have survived for over 20 years. Last but not least – you fill up the green tree holder with water. You’re done! The lights get turned on – the fireplace gets lit. Time to enjoy that tin of cookies brought over by the neighbor.
Sound familiar? I’m sure it does to many.
Here’s what often happens a week later:
Johnny jr. forgets to water the tree every day when he gets home from school. Tabbie the cat decides to chew on the lights and tinsel when no one is looking. The fireplace continues to get lit every night – oh and the tree is right next to the heating vent. Those freshly cut branches on the tree are starting to droop a little. Life gets in the way – and hey the tree only has to last until New Year’s Day.
Don’t be this family – Christmas Tree fires are dangerous! Here are some facts from the National Fire Protection Association
Dry Tree vs. Watered Tree
Facts about home holiday fires
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious. On average, one of every 40 reported home structure Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an average of one death per 142 total reported home structure fires.
- A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six of Christmas tree fires.
- More than half (56%) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle.
- December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. In December, 11% of home candle fires began with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.
Have a safe and happy holiday!!!
Director of Marketing & Sales
Founders Insurance Group